The art of drumming as part of an ensemble
By PAUL BOTHNER MUSIC | August 7, 2018
Being a good musician means knowing how to play your instrument well. Being a great musicians means knowing how to play well with other musicians. This workshop aims to teach you the fundamental basics of playing in an ensemble.
Have you ever wondered what it takes to be a world class drummer? A big part of being at the top tier is being able to play with other musicians, while still keeping the feel and timing of the song. It’s not about being a shining star – it’s about being part of something bigger than you are.
Where: Paul Bothner Music Plumstead
Shop G7 Richmond Center
Main Road, Plumstead
When: 18 August 2018
What to expect:
- Knowing your role as part of the band
- Setting up sections in the song
- Knowing when build (dynamics)
More about Damian
Damian Kamineth is a 3rd year Jazz Studies student at the South African College of Music at the University of Cape Town. He is currently the drummer in a pop-cover band called BassMint and forms part of The Swing Collective, a swing pop-cover band. .
Damian has been selected to be part of many big bands over the past couple of years; The Sekunjalo Edujazz Big Band, The Marc de Kock Big Band and the UCT Big Band to name a few. He was also selected to be the drummer for the Standard Bank National Youth Jazz Band 2018. He worked with a host of world-renowned artists and musicians, such as Prof. Andrew Lilley, Shaun Johannes, Camillo Lombard, Don Vino Prins, Alvin Hendricks and many more.
- One of the highlights of the Cape Town music scene is the annual Kirstenbosch Gardens Summer Concerts. Every year many of our friends take part …
- Karen Zoid is one of the only musicians in South Africa to achieve critical acclaim for both English AND Afrikaans music. Because of this she …
- In the last few years, the humble ukulele has become one of the top-selling instruments in South Africa. They sound good, are incredibly portable, and …
- . After an absence of more than 30 years, Sipho “Hotstix” Mabuse and his band will be returning to the Baxter for a one-night celebration. …