Crypt Gig Guide
By PAUL BOTHNER MUSIC | October 24, 2018
Nestled in the heart of Cape Town is a jazz club that every jazz musician worth his salt will have played. Not only is it a testing ground for young up and comers, but it’s a spot all the veteran return to on a regular basis.
The Crypt in St George’s Cathedral is one of the most famous jazz clubs in the Cape. It is known for two things; the weekly jam session, and booking some of the hottest acts around. And for February, the club delivers on the latter in spades.
Cover: R100 per person
Time: Most shows are 20H00 until 23H00, but be sure to check the time of the show you’re going to watch, just in case.
Address: St George’s Cathedral, 1 Wale St & Adderley Street, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town
If you want to be kept in the loop about jazz in and around Cape Town, be sure to join our mailing list.
The Crypt Gig Guide
- Thursday 25 October (8pm to 11pm) #concertssa
Jason Ward Trio
This band of young talents and led by Jason ward drums will reignite your faith in the future of music. Chadleigh Gowar piano and christian martin bass.
- Friday 26 October (8 pm to 11 pm)
Virtual Jazz Reality
“musician and bandleader Ian smith’s incredible creative input has been seen both on stage and off. The trumpeter is undoubtedly one of the country’s most influential and inspirational jazz figures.” cape times. Ian Smith trumpeter and friends.
- Saturday 27 October (8 pm to 11 pm)
Sylvia Mmdunyelwa Quartet
The legendary cape jazz vocalist Sylvia “Mama Kaap” Mdunyelwa created her own hall of fame. She belongs to the greatest jazz icons in the cape. She is accompanied by George Werner piano, Norman Saul bass and Stix Brwebi drums.
- Tuesday 30 october (8 pm to 11 pm)
Danny Butler Trio
Sparkingly musical and effortlessly entertaining Danny butler has often shone a witty light through a well-chosen song. George Werner piano, norman saul bass, and Danny butler vocals
- Wednesday 31 October (8 pm to 11 pm) #concertssa
Penelope Rradsma Trio
The crypt welcomes this talented vocalist and her band. Penelope Radsma vocals, blake Hellaby piano and Duncan Johnson bass.
- Regardless of what style of music you play, there will always be some overlap between genres. Quite often, if you want to improve one playing …
- FREE Bass Workshop with Schalk Joubert. The bass guitar is one of the most versatile instruments you can play. A solid bass player with a …
- Guitar Frenzy 2018 is here, and that can mean only one thing… It is time for the fourth annual Anything Goes Guitar Competition! Last year …
- We live in an age of technology and information. Nowadays, it’s easy to go online and to find tidbits of information as you need it. …