Artistry & Functionality in the World of Bass
By PAUL BOTHNER MUSIC | November 4, 2018
FREE Bass Workshop with Schalk Joubert. The bass guitar is one of the most versatile instruments you can play. A solid bass player with a mastery of timing, rhythm, and tasteful playing can be found in genres of music from Hip Hop to Doom Metal.
To reach the top echelons of the world of bass, it is imperative that you first work on your Artistry and functionality. During this FREE workshop, Schalk Joubert will teach you a few of the tricks that have enabled him to succeed in music.
All Guitar Frenzy workshops are free, but seating is limited. So if you want to ensure that you get a good seat, be sure to arrive early.
Where: Paul Bothner Music N1 City
Shop 71, N1 Value Centre
When: 10 November 2018
Time: 11 am
Do you want to receive reminders about workshops like this? Then be sure to subscribe to our newsletter.
What to expect:
- How to make most of your existing knowledge
- How to optimise your practice sessions
- Studio & Recording techniques & Advice
- Developing your personal voice on your instrument
- Advanced right hand techniques
More about Schalk Joubert
Schalk Joubert is one of South Africa’s most celebrated and award-winning bassists with a career spanning over 20 years.
He has performed and recorded with national and international artists like The Crash Test Dummies, Hugh Masekela, Gloria Bosman, David Kramer, Michelle Shocked, Albert Frost, Robin Auld, Anton Goosen, Zolani Mahola, Marcus Wyatt, Jack Parow and he is also the bassist and co-composer for the multi-national group-Ancient Agents.
He has played on hundreds of records and has performed in elite venues and festivals all over the world like Carnegie Hall in New York and Byron Bay Blues Festival in Australia where he has shared a line-up with the likes of Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello & Derrick Trucks. He has composed music for national and international films, tv-series & theatre and currently he is also the Music Director for the Cape Town Music Academy. His solo album “Kayamandi” was nominated for two SAMA Awards.
Schalk can also be seen as the resident musician on the very popular weekly Kyknet show “Oppiestoep” and he also features as a real-life character in the multi-million selling books of Deon Meyer.
- Regardless of what style of music you play, there will always be some overlap between genres. Quite often, if you want to improve one playing …
- Guitar Frenzy 2018 is here, and that can mean only one thing… It is time for the fourth annual Anything Goes Guitar Competition! Last year …
- We live in an age of technology and information. Nowadays, it’s easy to go online and to find tidbits of information as you need it. …
- If you’re tired of playing covers all the time, then you should learn how to find your inner songwriter. By writing your own music, you …